Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment?

The Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment (WWR) is a single command with a strategic reach that provides and facilitates non-medical assistance to wounded, ill, and injured (WII) Marines; sailors, attached to or in support of Marines units; and their family members throughout all phases of recovery.

Where is the WWR located?

The Regimental Headquarters is located in Quantico, Virginia and commands the operation of two Wounded Warrior Battalions located at Camp Pendleton, California (WWBn-W) and Camp Lejeune, North Carolina (WWBn-E), and multiple detachments in locations around the globe, including at major Military Treatment Facilities and Department of Veterans Affairs Polytrauma Centers.

Who does the WWR serve?

The WWR provides non-medical care to the total WII Marine force: Active Duty, Reserve, Retired, and Veteran Marines. Whether a Marine is wounded on the battlefield or during training, injured in an accident, or suffering from an illness, the WWR stands ready to provide non-medical care and assistance throughout the phases of recovery.

What types of non-medical care does the WWR provide?

The WWR provides comprehensive care from the point of injury or illness to return to duty or community reintegration. Care and assets include, but are not limited to:

Recovery Care Coordinators
District Injured Support Coordinators
Traumatic Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Claims
Special Compensation for Assistance With Daily Living Claims
Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Attorneys
Warrior Athlete Reconditioning Program
Reserve-specific assistance, through WWR’s Reserve medical Entitlements Determination Section

How does a WII Marine get assigned to the WWR?

The most seriously wounded, ill, or injured Marines are joined to WWR if their medical conditions will require treatment in excess of 90 days. Requests for assignment to a WWR element can be initiated by the parent command, medical officer, medical case manager, WWR Detachment Officer-in-Charge, or the WWR Operations section. Requests must include:

  • An endorsement from the Marine’s parent command
  • A recommendation from the Unit Medical Officer/Primary Care Provider
  • Medical Case Manager Comments

For more information on the referral process, contact the WWR Call Center at 1.877.487.6299.

My Marine has been hospitalized. How do I get to his / her bedside?

In the aftermath of a wound, illness, or injury, Marines can benefit from the presence and assistance of family or friends. Invitational Travel Authorization (ITA) or Non-Medical Attendant (NMA) Orders may be authorized for designated individuals (normally family but not required) supporting VERY SERIOUSLY OR SERIOUSLY WII Marines. ITAs and NMAs are government funded orders that can authorize travel to the medical facility providing care.

Does the WWR manage medical care?

The WWR’s care is limited to non-medical support. However, every Marine assisted by the WWR is recovering from a visible and / or invisible wound, illness, or injury. Successful recovery requires coordinated medical and non-medical support. Accordingly, the WWR has staff with medical expertise to bridge the gap between medical and non-medical care. This staff group is referred to as the "Medical Cell." In addition to providing medical subject matter expertise, the WWR’s Medical Cell staff members also serve as advocates and liaison to the medical community. For more information on the WWR’s Medical Cell.

What is a care team?

A Care Team consists of a group of individuals who work in concert to ensure a WII Marine’s medical and non-medical care is properly coordinated for maximum recovery.

Are all WII Marines joined to the WWR?

No. The WWR provides support to WII Marines whether they are joined to a Regimental element or remain with their parent units. Allowing Marines to "stay in the fight" is what makes the Marine Corps care model successful. Typically, the most medically acute cases (those Marines who will require medical treatment for more than 90 days) are joined to the WWR. WII Marines who remain with their parent units, however, may take advantage of the services and resources of the WWR; such as Recovery Care Coordinators, District Injured Support Coordinators, Call Center Staff, administrative support, and more (depending upon the level of need).

Does the WWR have a Call Center?

Yes. The Sergeant Merlin German Wounded Warrior Call Center was established in 2007 to provide assistance to WII Marines and Marine veterans with obtaining benefits and referrals and providing information on community reintegration services and a multitude of other resources. The trained call center staff includes retired Marines and Marine veterans or family members of Marines augmented by a small staff of psychological health

professionals. These dedicated individuals are skilled at providing help and share a common bond with those they serve 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A primary task of the Call Center staff is to conduct outreach calls to check on WII Marines and offer assistance where

How can I donate to WII Marines?

The Wounded Warrior Regiment's Charitable Giving Office assists donors in compliance with the DoD Gift Acceptance Regulations. Please visit the Charitable Giving tab of our Web site for more information.

How does the Marine Corps support the families / caregivers of its WII Marines?

The WWR Family Support Staff supports WII Marines’ families / caregivers throughout the multiple phases of recovery and in geographically dispersed locations. A WWR Family Support Team consists of non-medical advocates including Family Readiness Officers, Family Support Coordinators, Wounded Warrior Battalion Detachments, VA Polytrauma liaisons and Recovery Care Coordinators. These individuals work together to ensure the smooth delivery of family services. Additionally, each military treatment facility will have a Family Assistance Center or a room with a similar name with people to answer questions. There is also a wealth of information online at the National Resource Directory.

What benefits are WII Marines eligible to receive?

The WWR aims to ensure WII Marines get all the benefits to which they are entitled. While working to return to duty or leave the service and return to their civilian community, they may be entitled to pay and allowances in addition to their basic pay.

After WII Marines recover, can they stay in the Marine Corps?

A Marine who has been found UNFIT by the Physical Evaluation Board regardless of the disability percentage, and has accepted their findings, may request to remain on active duty in a Permanent Limited Duty (PLD) status. Each case is individually considered and the Marine’s length of service does not necessarily determine PLD decisions. Those WII Marines with combat injuries, not a result of their own misconduct can request Expanded Permanent Limited Duty (EPLD).

What is the Integrated Disability Evaluation System process?

The Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) is a joint program of the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The goal is to close the gap between separation from active duty and receipt of VA benefits and compensation. The VA performs one medical exam that meets the needs of DoD in determining fitness for continued military service and also provides the basis for the VA to rate the Marine’s disabilities if they have been determined to be Unfit. The VA determined disability rating, for the specifically military unfitting condition(s) is used by DoD as the basis for determining eligibility for military separation and retirement benefits. For additional information on the IDES process, check out the WWR’s IDES Toolkit on our Web site.

How can I contact the WWR?

24/7 Call Center – 1-877-487-6299

Public Affairs Office (media inquiries) –

Facebook – Twitter –

Flickr – YouTube –

Wounded Warrior SmartPhone and iPad App on iTunes and Google Play

Online newsletter